BC Study Abroad Consortium
The British Columbia Study Abroad Consortium (BCSAC) is a group of BC post-secondary institutions that work together to encourage students to gain international academic experience.
BCSAC aims to assist post-secondary students in studying abroad and offer one-stop access to short term, study abroad resource information and program offerings from participating BC post-secondary institutions.
Study Abroad - Make the World Your Classroom!
Study abroad programs offer students the opportunity to study in a foreign country while earning credits toward their degree in their home country.
Short-term programs can range from one week to a full academic term while other programs run from several terms to an entire degree program that spans several years.
Students can choose to:
- study abroad to learn a language from native speakers
(Eg. Design student who goes to Spain to live with a Spanish host family and study Spanish while taking Industrial Design courses in Spanish)
- take classes in their academic major in a place that allows them to expand their practical work experience
(Eg. International Development student who goes to Vietnam to participate in an international development project)
- study abroad in order to get a credential within the framework of a different educational system
(Eg. Medical student who goes to Britain to study pediatrics)
Types of Study Abroad Programs
Each school offers different short-term and long-term study abroad opportunities such as:
- Study Tour
- Field Schools
- Short-term Summer Studies
Top Reasons to Study Abroad
- Live in another country and learn about a different culture
- Learn a language
- See the world while studying
- Develop intercultural skills and international work experience
- Internationalize your degree and resume
- Earn university credits toward your degree
- Take academic courses not otherwise available at your institution
- Increase your employment opportunities
- Learn new perspectives
- Broaden your education
- Have the time of your life!
Participating BC institutions who offer study abroad programs:
These international programs offer unique and challenging experiences abroad in a wide variety of formats, disciplines and locations. Consortium representatives and the international offices of our participating institutions take care of most of the logistics for you and will guide you through the entire process, from application to orientation and academic preparation.
Click on a link above for more information now!