Our 7th annual Summer Seminar will be held at the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC from June 19–22, 2016.
The 2016 conference theme will be An Agent of Change.
Background information about Summer Seminar
Summer Seminar provides an essential platform for the growth of BC’s International Education sector. BCCIE’s annual conference brings together over 300 participants from our province, across Canada and beyond our borders. The conference attracts senior leaders, researchers, practitioners, student service providers, administrators, government, NGOs, and students to explore these ideas with the aim of strengthening our work and taking steps towards advancing outstanding leadership in the fields that comprise International Education in BC.
In addition to a full range of concurrent sessions, the conference agenda will include:
- A range of networking opportunities
- BCCIE International Education Awards Banquet
- Plenary addresses
- Thought Leader Dialogues on special topics
- A First-timers' Social
- Interactive pre-conference workshops on special topics
Don’t miss Summer Seminar in Victoria, from June 19–22, 2016!
Note: We look forward to trying out our new program schedule this year, which will include concurrent sessions starting early on the Sunday afternoon.
For more information on the conference, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please find below a series of key dates for BCCIE Summer Seminar 2016.
To receive regular updates on Summer Seminar activities and upcoming deadlines, please fill out our email subscription form and we will add you to our conference mailing list.
|Summer Seminar 2016 Key Dates|
Session Proposal Deadline
|February 1, 2016|
Early Bird Registration Ends
|April 5, 2016|
Award Nomination Deadline
|April 22, 2016|
Bursary Application Deadline
|May 2, 2016|
Online Registration Ends
|June 5, 2016|
Summer Seminar 2016
|June 19–22, 2016|
Registration is now open for the largest International Education conference in Western Canada! Register before April 5, 2016 to receive the below early bird rates.
Delegates - Full Registration
Delegates - One Day Registration
Student Full Registration
Awards Banquet Only
UPDATING YOUR REGISTRATION
Once registered, you can make changes to your registration by logging in here with the email address and password you will receive in your registration confirmation email.
REFUNDS, TRANSFERS AND CANCELLATION POLICY
Refunds on conference registration fees paid, less a $75.00 CAD administration fee, will be granted until May 19, 2016. Cancellation must be received in writing to email@example.com on or before this date. No refunds will be given after this date.
Please note that your registration is non-transferable. Name changes made on or before May 19, 2016 will incur a Name Change Fee of $35.00 CAD. No name changes will be accepted after this date.
We look forward to trying out our new program schedule this year, which will include concurrent sessions starting early on the Sunday afternoon.
Announcing keynote speaker Dr. Julio Montaner
OC, OBC, MD, DSc(hon), FRCPC, FCCP, FACP, FRSC
BCCIE is very pleased to announce Julio Montaner as our 2016 keynote speaker. Dr. Montaner is a professor of medicine and Head of the Division of AIDS at UBC, and director of the BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS at St. Paul’s Hospital, Providence Healthcare. The architect of the UN 90-90-90 strategy aimed at ending the AIDS pandemic by 2030, he is a determined and passionate visionary whose life’s work has directly contributed to the increased survival and dignity of people living with HIV in Canada and the world.
Past and present positions
- Professor and Head of Division of AIDS, Department/Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia (UBC)
- UBC and St. Paul’s Hospital Foundation Chair in AIDS Research
- Director, BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, St. Paul’s Hospital-Providence Health Care
- Past President, International AIDS Society
- UNAIDS Special Advisor on HIV Therapeutics
The BCCIE Summer Seminar 2016 is expected to attract over 300 delegates from across Canada and abroad, including institutional and district leaders (Vice-Presidents, District Principals, Directors), senior government officials, NGOs, front-line practitioners and other key influencers in the field of International Education. The Seminar launch will be supported by a high-profile media campaign across electronic, social media and traditional communication channels.
Sponsors to the BCCIE Summer Seminar 2016 will have the opportunity to:
- Profile their organization to an influential audience of top practitioners and decision makers.
- Network with staff and others who act as a primary liaison with international students and their families, international institutions, agencies, government and supporters.
- Develop value-added partnerships with some of the leading International Education specialists in Canada.
Sign up to be a sponsor
Once you have decided you would like to sponsor us, you can register yourself and additional delegates for the conference and select your sponsorship package by clicking on the below button. In the registration form under Registration type select Sponsorship package and registration.
BCCIE is offering special conference rates with The Fairmont Empress Hotel at the rate of $199 during the nights of June 18–21, 2016.
If you are interested in booking additional room nights outside of the above dates, please call the Fairmont Empress at 1-800-441-1414 to receive a quote.The online reservation system is unable to process these bookings at this time.
Parking is $30/night.
Photo credit: Tourism Victoria
Delegates can travel by boat or air to reach Victoria from Vancouver. Please refer to the BC Ferries for sailing times to the Island departing from Tsawwassen. Helijet and Harbour Air are two popular options for air travel.
Fairmont President’s Club members are eligible to receive a 15% discount on Helijet flights. Members will need to quote their Fairmont President's Club membership number, as well as their hotel confirmation number when booking flights. For questions or assistance, please contact our concierge.
Budget Rent-a-Car is offering delegates a 15% discount off regular rates. Car rentals can be picked up at the airport upon arrival or at the 757 Douglas St. office across from the Conference Centre. When booking, please identify yourself as a BCCIE Summer Seminar delegate. You can also book online at budget.com using the Budget discount code a033900. This code is only for Victoria use only.
Travel resources near the hotel
- Victoria International Airport – 30 minute drive
- Helijet – 15 minute walk
- Victoria Clipper and Blackball Ferry – MV Coho terminals – 5 minute walk
- Seaplane terminals for Harbour Air and Kenmore Air – 3 minute walk
- Pacific Coach Lines – 1 minute walk
- BC Transit Victoria – 1 minute walk
- Yellow Cab Taxi – located in the hotel's driveway
There is never a shortage of things to do in BC's provincial capital, Victoria. Check back for more activities in the coming months!
Royal BC Museum
Photo credit: Blake Handley on Flickr CC
Afternoon tea at the Fairmont Empress
Photo Credit: Tourism Victoria
Photo Credit: Jeff Hitchcock on Flickr CC
Photo Credit: Tourism Victoria
Beacon Hill Park Victoria
Photo Credit: Holly Lawrence on Flickr CC
Flash Your Badge Program
Photo Credit: Tourism Victoria
Nominations are now open for the 2016 International Education awards! Please submit by April 22, 2016.
The annual BCCIE International Education Awards recognize the professionalism, dedication and efforts of an exemplary group of experts and practitioners in the field of International Education in British Columbia. Each year's winners represent a broad range of leaders from all parts of the sector and who represent the best and brightest in our province. Read about the 2015 award winners or view inspirational messages from the 2015 International Education awards gala.
The BCCIE International Education Awards are decided by a peer committee and are awarded in the following categories:
1. International Education Distinguished Leadership Award
This award recognizes the unique and important accomplishments and contributions of an international educator or member of the community who has effected change and leadership in the field of international education in a senior leadership position or in service, who has `led from behind' and whose work will have a lasting impact.
2. Excellence in International Education Marketing Award
This award recognizes excellence and success in support of the education export sector in British Columbia and in the marketing of our world-class education system.
3. Rising Star in International Education Award
This award recognizes tomorrow’s leaders, our up-and-coming talent, and the next generation of leaders and practitioners in the field of international education.
4. Outstanding Program in International Education Award
Awarded to an institution, district or program to recognize high quality and highly creative programming in international education.
5. International Education Lifetime Achievement Award (Occasional)
This award recognizes the long-term contributions made and the far-reaching impacts realized over a career of commitment to BC’s international education sector.
Criteria for determining the recipients of the awards:
- Quality: A demonstration of quality work
- Creativity: A highly creative approach to International Education program design and/or delivery is evident
- Impact: Positive, tangible and sustainable impact on the field of International Education in BC
- Transferability: Active engagement in the sharing and transferring knowledge, expertise and experience amongst the International Education community
- All members of the Selection Committee submit their votes and the rankings are based on the Borda System
What do you need to nominate someone?
Please click on the button at the top of this page to start the nomination process. You will be required to provide your contact information, the nominee's contact information, and at least one reference. There are three key questions you will be required to answer about your nominee:
- What contributions has the nominee or nominated program made to the overall international program at his/her school or district?
- What contributions has the nominee or nominated program made to the field of International Education in British Columbia?
- Please comment on any additional attributes (leadership, personal, team) exhibited by the nominee or nominated program you feel the selection committee should consider in making their decision.
Summer Seminar Questions: